Avery started swim lessons yesterday. She did AWESOME. Really, she had started swimming on her own last summer. However, she needed some warming up this summer. After a few days she had it down again. I did want to go ahead with the lessons though, so she would feel confident swimming without us, and if she ever did get in too deep she would know how to swim to the side.
I was most pleased to see that she is building confidence and independency. I dropped her off (at a ladies house she had never met before and with kids she did not know), she got in the pool and waved good bye, and I told her I'd be back in a little bit. I walked off feeling a little uneasy, mainly because I was having to give up some control. I knew she was in good hands because this lady had been reccommended by a friend, and the ratio was 2 teachers to 4 kids. However, I still felt myself fighting to leave her and trusting that she'd be ok. As I left, I walked out with another mom who turned to me and said, "I guess they'll be ok?" I was glad to hear that someone else was probably feeling just as I did.
The class is 30 minutes long. The last few minutes we are able to come in and see what they learned that day. Avery was swimming out to her teacher and back to the side. She would also swim to the bottom of the pool (shallow end) to get a dive toy.
On Thursday, I will be able to stay and watch. I'll post pictures then! I'm curious to see if she will jump off the diving board by then?!!
No comments:
Post a Comment