Friday, September 4, 2009

Christopher

My poor sister and brother in law had to take thier sweet baby boy to the ER Wednesday night after fever caused his heartrate to jump into the high 200's. So scary. I think we all relived the day he was rushed to the ICU when they first recognized his heart condition at birth. When Drew was born I had flashbacks to those phone calls, visions of my poor sister having her baby taken from her, all of the unknowns for what felt like eternity, and the pain the entire family felt. When I got Betsy's text Wednesday night I felt my heart break for her and Cory all over again. (You can go to the "Christopher" link on my page for detailed updates through his care bridge site... they are home now). I came home once again trying to imagine what they go through day in and day out. I can't, but I do know how amazingly strong my sister is and what a witness she is to me and so many others. In the midst of the pain, she recognizes all that they have to be thankful for.
Thank you to my friends who prayed with me the other night, and to those who prayed for him and are always so sweet to check in for updates.

I just found this in an e-mail from my mom (Upper Room devotional) & thought I would share since it goes along w/my post and may be helpful to read for all of you who have suffered and/or suffering...

The Mystery of Suffering

Today's ScriptureJesus said, "Remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
-Matthew 28:20 (NRSV)

FOR centuries, theologians and philosophers have grappled with the problem of human suffering. Some regard suffering as a consequence of sin -- an explanation that cannot be dismissed entirely, for the Bible tells us, "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow" (Gal. 6:7). Others believe suffering can come as a test of faith, and the Bible suggests that this can also be true, as in the case of Job. And the Bible tells us that at times suffering may be a learning experience, with God as our benevolent teacher (Heb. 5:8 and 12:7-11).
I have had to conclude, however, that often we cannot find an acceptable reason for suffering. Too frequently, suffering just doesn't make sense and accomplishes no good that we can see: A baby is born seriously deformed. A mother dies of breast cancer. An airplane crashes, killing scores of passengers.
Yet through it all -- however heavy our burdens, no matter what our tribulations or anguish -- we have the promise that in our times of suffering nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Rom. 8:35-39). With this assurance, we can find consolation and courage to move forward in faith, knowing that this world is not our home and trusting that someday the mysteries of life will be explained.
Ralph Lord Roy (Connecticut, USA)
Prayer
In our times of disappointment and despair, O God, may we feel your presence and find strength in your word. Amen. --- Upper Room Devotional, The mystery of Suffering

1 comment:

betsy said...

You are so sweet. Thank you for your kind words. ILY!!